National Diploma in Building Consent Surveying (Level 5 or 6)
Capable NZ is leading the nationwide project to assist Building Officials to gain the following qualifications:
- National Diploma in Building Control Surveying (Small Buildings) (Level 5)
- National Diploma in Building Control Surveying (Medium and Large Buildings) (Level 6)
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (formerly DHB) has listed both of these qualifications as appropriate for Building Officials in order to meet Regulation 18. Each has specific requirements, but a portion of the learning content overlaps so that both qualifications can be undertaken at the same time if you have the necessary experience.
They are also available to professionals from other industries, provided they have the required knowledge, skills and experience.
Recognising your prior learning
Our world-leading services recognise your prior learning, measuring your existing knowledge and skills against formal qualifications, including certificates, diplomas and degrees. This is the fast track way for very experienced Building Control Officials (minimum of five years' experience is recommended) to complete a full qualification. Your study pathway will depend on your level of experience.
- For experienced, multi-skilled officers who can complete the process on the basis of experience, an assessment of prior learning process is all that is required. For those with the requisite experience, both qualifications can be undertaken at the same time.
- For experienced officers who are competent in one of the disciplines of either processing or inspecting, the assessment of prior learning process is still followed but further learning will be required.
- It also ensures an accelerated start for officers with less experience and who may have some gaps in their knowledge and skills.
Please note, the Capable NZ programme is for people currently working in a Building Consent Authority or an organisation that provides building consent services, and are personally providing these services in some capacity. If you are not currently in this working environment you should contact the Building Officials Institute of New Zealand to discuss training and development options.
Take the next step...
Click here to view our online learning package. This offers an overview of how to start planning for study and what is required of you throughout the process.
Information in this package also includes:
- A self-profiling questionnaire to help establish whether assessment of prior learning is appropriate for you
- A range of pricess and information about other ways to engage in this process
- An enrolment form